Bible and Book of Mormon

Book of MormonAnother Testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible.What Is the Book of Mormon?The Book of Mormon is another witness of Jesus Christ and confirms the truths found in the Holy Bible. The Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible; rather, they are companion works that together teach about God and Jesus Christ. Both volumes of scripture are a compilation of teachings as recorded by ancient prophets. While the Bible details events in the eastern hemisphere, the Book of Mormon documents the lives of the inhabitants of the ancient Americas.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I can Only Imagine


I have heard people ask, why do good things happen to bad people, and if there was a God, bad things would not happen. This is a sign that those people do not see past sorrows to the silver lining. In other words, I think God uses "bad things" for his own useful purposes. Is it really a sign that GOd doesn't exist when a baby is born with disabilities? Or a couple cannot get pregnant for 10 years, while teenagers have babies without a home to give them? I don't see these as signs God doesn't exist, I see these as the means through which God does speak to us. The point of this life is to grow, and we can only grow through trials. I found this quote that speaks about what I'm trying to say:
Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD). A personal trainer knows that you cannot get stronger muscles without resistance and without experiencing a little pain. Therefore, when I see bad things happening to good people, I don't question God's existence, his existence is solidified. God chastens us because he loves us. A parent punishes a child because they love the child and want the child to learn and grow. Likewise, there are hardships, sadness, and challenges to hlep us grow and to give us examples to follow. There is a video that touches me everytime I watch it. A father and son competed in multiple athletic events (marathons, iron mans, etc.), but the son has physical disabilities so the Dad carries, pushes and pulls the son all the way through the race. The father does this because the son expressed how much he enjoys it, and how it makes the son feel as though he does not have any disabilities while they are racing. This solidifies my testimony that God puts disabilities, trials, and sadness into life for us to show our strength, show our love, and show our humility in how we deal with them. That is what this particular father has done. Even though the doctor told he and his wife to hug the son goodbye basically when he was born, they decided they would keep him and raise him like any other child. To me, this family has really understood what it is to love someone and make someone else happy. The boy has graduated from highschool and college, and can comunicate through a special computer. Through this example of loving the disabled, loving family, and sacraficing, my heart is touched and many people are touched. So when I hear people complain about God making "bad things happen to good people" I just think they don't understand the meaning of life. God spoke to Joseph Smith in his hard times when bad things were happening to good people, as said, "know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee eexperience, and shall be for thy good" (D&C 122:7). I hold my trials close to my heart for all the things I have learned all the experience I gained. Bad things happening to good people, is just the perfecting of the saints. We are also told that we will not be given any challenge that we cannot overcome. Trials are also useful in compelling people to humility, when nothing else will. I am glad God gives me trials and others trials so we can see how God can work through us, how God can help us, and how much we need God.

1 comment:

Fun and Festive said...

Beautifully written post. For me it seems that when life is going smoothly I am a little lacksadaisical in my faith. But when I have a problem or struggle I find myself turning to God to get me through it. So, in my case I become stronger (spirtitually) through my hard times. And then when I have come through it okay I see that God is wonderful in his blessings!