Bible and Book of Mormon

Book of MormonAnother Testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible.What Is the Book of Mormon?The Book of Mormon is another witness of Jesus Christ and confirms the truths found in the Holy Bible. The Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible; rather, they are companion works that together teach about God and Jesus Christ. Both volumes of scripture are a compilation of teachings as recorded by ancient prophets. While the Bible details events in the eastern hemisphere, the Book of Mormon documents the lives of the inhabitants of the ancient Americas.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Elder Robert C. Gay of the seventy gave a talk at October 2012 conference, entitled, "What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for His Soul?" I read it from the November ensign. Here are key point I got out of it:

1. "today it is so easy to get caught up in the noise of the world--despite our good intentions" (pg. 34).
2. Cain asked, "Who is the Lord that I should know him?" and then he lost his soul. Nothing is more important than knowing the Lord. How do we know the Lord? -prayer, scripture, conference talks, service, uplifting education, going to church, fulfilling our callings.
3. Sometimes a national championship or money seem so important at the time that we "self-justify our actions like Cain", but as we learn, he lost his soul. I'm sure we do not want to lose our souls, but Satan does a good job at distracting us.
4. Robert talks about the story in the new testament of a wealthy young man that asked the Lord what he needed to do to have eternal life. The Savior told him the one thing he needs to do is sell all that he has. The man could not do it.
-On the other hand, we have an account in the Book of Mormon when a Lamanite King asked the same question and said that he would give all he has away just to have "this great joy" (pg. 34).
5. How importance repentance is. The Lamanite King's repentant prayer is touching: "O God, ...I will give away all my sins to know thee."
6. The Savior asks us to give "up all our sins, big or small" (pg. 35). I like the list Robert puts out as possible sins we need to repent of and forsake:
-self-justifying stories
-excuses
-rationalizations
-defense mechanisms
-procrastinations
-appearances
-personal pride
-judgmental thoughts
-doing things our way
7. Separate yourself from the worldliness and take upon you the image of God in your countenance.
8. I love touching stories of people reaching out to others, strangers even. But it makes me feel inadequate because I do not have many of those stories of my own. My insecurities usually win in the battle with the spiritual promptings. Its difficult to talk to someone I do not know or are not familiar with. However, I know that my mind needs to be in the right place if I am going to have the courage to help others. I need to focus more on others, and on the spirit; Then I may be more likely to feel and act on promptings of helping and befriending others. I know I could be doing so much better than I am now. I only have one neighbor in my apartment complex that I know. I see surrounding neighbors often, know what cars they drive, but haven't said but a single hello. There's definitely room to grow.
9. Set goals: I will meet one more neighbor before Christmas.
10. "May our lives of service always affirm that God forsakes no one" (pg. 36).
11. I like what Robert says: "My testimony is my soul's treasure" (pg. 36).
12. I know that the worth of souls is so great! Docrtine and Covenants 18:10 -"Remember the aworth of bsouls is great in the sight of God;" Nothing of this world is more valuable. That's why there's nothing more important, satisfying, joyous, or completing as saving our own soul and those around us. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

can i share this for my lesson in the relief society? i love your honesty. i am the same way too, I'm dont know how to start a conversation sometimes, i luv taking to people ( who i already know) however it is always a challenge to me to start a conversation ( like my neighbors). thank you for sharing.