Bible and Book of Mormon

Book of MormonAnother Testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible.What Is the Book of Mormon?The Book of Mormon is another witness of Jesus Christ and confirms the truths found in the Holy Bible. The Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible; rather, they are companion works that together teach about God and Jesus Christ. Both volumes of scripture are a compilation of teachings as recorded by ancient prophets. While the Bible details events in the eastern hemisphere, the Book of Mormon documents the lives of the inhabitants of the ancient Americas.

Monday, May 24, 2010

5.24.10. 3 Nephi 13

v. 25. Lately I have been really into THINGS, like clothes and stuff, like fashion. Which is unusual for me. I think it is because I am not busy in school and sports and I have money to buy such things. However, I am glad I did not go on the shopping spree I was planning on because I realize clothing is not important. As Christ says, "take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on." That last phrase says to me that I shouldn't be so concerned with what I put on. The fowls of the air are taken care of, so how come i wouldn't be taken care of? I think we are to self-reliant sometimes and not enough reliant on Heavenly Father. I don't have enough faith that he will sustain me.
v.30. "even so will he clothe you, if ye are not of little faith."
v.33. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."- 3 nephi 13:33
Its interesting, if we seek first the kingdom of God, then our clothes, food, shelter, shall all be given to us. I think i tend to think the reverse way, that i must take care of food, clothing, shelter, and then seek the kingdom of God. But we should seek the kingdom of God above all else. Which means going to the temple no matter what every week, reading scriptures BEFORE breakfast, serving others before dinner, paying tithing BEFORE shopping. Because that is sacrificing and how else can we achieve the kingdom of God without sacrificing. We are to emulate Jesus Christ and he is basically in one word sacrifice. So we most definitely need to learn how to sacrifice if we are to be like him.
3 Nephi 14

Judge not that ye be not judged because you will be judged with the same judgment that you judge others with. "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" So first take car eof the mote that is in thy own eye, and once you have done that, then you have credit to help your brother with th emote that is in his eye. HOwever, i don't think we will ever have eyes to see clearly enough because there will always be a mote in our eyes because we will always be flawed. So basically NEVER consider the mote in others' eyes.
v.6. "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs." So basically, there are sometimes things you need to keep to yourself that are sacred. Don't give your kisses out like pretzels, don't bear your testimony at a dance party on the top of your lungs. Don't give the Book of Mormon to someone who will not appreciate it. Sometimes your personal revelation is not to be known to others. Or, like Joseph Smith had to do, keep the gold plates from greedy men who would use it for money.
v.7. "Ask and it shall be given unto you;" Is this really true though? Because sometimes God doesn't give us what we ask for. So ask is correlated with initiative which is correlated with being willing to do things and not being constrained. 1 Cor. 9:17 "if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward." But if we don't do things willingly we don't have a reward. I think this phrase, ask and receive, is more of a take initiative and be willing, then you will receive reward. D&C 123:17 "Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power."
D&C 58:26 "he that is compelled in all things...is not a wise servant."

Which is so true. I am going to try to do things more willingly and with a cheerful spirit, as if I wan to do it above all other things. For example, when going to the temple this week, I will be cheerful about it. And doing the dishes should be done willingly, or else i have no reward. Its like means. What is your motive behind what you do? What are my motives? Why do I do what I do?

No comments: